- This article is for centers using Xero accounting software and using the Detail Sync option.
- Before syncing data to Xero, be sure to read this entire article to understand all of the details on how the sync works. There are certain transactions that will not sync to Xero and will require manual intervention so you will want to be familiar with those. If the required manual intervention is not performed in Xero, your financial records will not be complete and will not match to CoreBridge.
- When using the Detail Sync option, your customer-related data will be re-created in Xero. Once you've gone through your 1st Sync, you should not edit/update/modify/delete any records that sync from CoreBridge to Xero. Xero effectively becomes "look but don't touch" for anything that has synced from CoreBridge. If you change a record in Xero that is synced from CoreBridge, that may cause sync errors or cause your financial data in Xero to not match CoreBridge resulting in erroneous financials.
- The Detail Sync option is not available to all CoreBridge subscription packages. If you have any questions about availability and pricing, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Table of Contents
- Export Options and Requirements
- Records That Sync
- Records That Do Not Sync
- Multiple Locations/Centers
- Customers – Master Accounts
- Customers – Merging
- Invoices and Voiding
- Payments - best practices when using Bank Feeds
- Payments - applying a payment
- Refunds, Bad Debt, and NSF Payments
- Tax Groups and Tax Agencies
- Manual Entry Needed in Xero
- Sync Errors
- Sync Limits
Export Options and Requirements
- For details on which accounting applications are supported for the CoreBridge sync, please refer to the Accounting Export Options article.
Records That Sync
This section contains the record types that sync from CoreBridge to Xero. No record of the types listed below should ever be changed in Xero if the record was synced with CoreBridge. Once a record has been synced, any changes must occur in CoreBridge. The change that occurs in CoreBridge will be reflected in Xero on the following sync.
Customers sync only when in Client status. Lead and Prospect status customers will not sync. Part of the setup is going through your entire customer list in Xero to match the customer name to CoreBridge. If the name doesn't match exactly, the sync will create a second customer in Xero.
If you are using Master Accounts in CoreBridge, the Xero sync will ignore those. Master Accounts do not sync.
Orders sync once they have been moved to Completed status. WIP and BUILT orders do not sync.
Part of the setup is determining whether or not the the same invoice numbers are used in both CoreBridge and Xero. If an invoice from CoreBridge is using the same number as an invoice in Xero the sync will fail. There are settings in CoreBridge that can be adjusted to prevent numbering conflicts.
Payments will sync only after they are reconciled in CoreBridge. Each individual payment is synced and posts to the selected bank account from the setup.
Synced payments are type: Overpayment
- Tax Groups
Tax Groups sync as Tax Rates
When tax rates change in CoreBridge, the old rates are managed as archived rates. When you perform a sync after a rate change, the archived records will sync to Xero with names like "old_20_State Tax" and "old_15_County Tax". They need to exist in both CoreBridge and Xero in order to match old invoices with old rates. New records with the same naming convention will also be created and synced if you change the name of an agency or group. Just like any other record that syncs from CoreBridge, changing or deleting Tax Rates in Xero will cause sync errors. It can also cause invoices in Xero to have different rates than the matching invoice in CoreBridge.
- Income Accounts
Income accounts sync as Revenue Accounts.
Part of the setup involves matching accounts between CoreBridge and Xero. If the names don't match the sync will create a duplicate account in Xero. Since Xero does not have child/sub accounts, any child/sub account relationship in CoreBridge will be ignored.
Records That Do Not Sync
- Payment Terms
- COGS accounts
- Purchase Orders
- Vendor Types
- Master Accounts
- Locations by Class
- Tax Agencies
If your CoreBridge system has more than one location or you have more than one CoreBridge system, the sync does not provide a way to distinguish each location in Xero.
Customers – Master Accounts
Master Accounts in CoreBridge will not sync. If you use Master Accounts in CoreBridge the hierarchy in Xero will not be the same.
Customers – Merging
If you merge a customer in CoreBridge, the sync cannot perform the merge. A customer merge must be handled manually in Xero.
- When a sync is performed, the sync window will display the number of customers that were merged in CoreBridge when it reaches the Merged Customer process.
- When you click the Failed Item link for the Merged Customers process, the item displayed will be the From customer.
- The To customer will be displayed as a Successful Item for the Customers process and will show that the record was updated.
- Once the customer is manually merged in Xero, the From customer will show as a Successful Item during a sync.
- If you need a list of Customer merges please open a support ticket.
- Line items on an invoice in Xero will contain the item or modifier description only. The actual part and modifier records from CoreBridge do not sync.
- In-Store Credit credit memos will display StoreCredit in the Reference field.
- If you need a support agent to trigger an invoice to sync again, all payments must be manually unapplied from the invoice in Xero first.
Invoices and Voiding
Invoices that sync to Xero should never be voided in Xero. When an invoice in voided in CoreBridge, the sync does not actually void the related invoice in Xero. The void is simply noted with a "-V" appended to the number.
- If a CoreBridge order has been voided, and a payment has already been applied to the invoice in Xero, the CoreBridge payment that synced to Xero will need to be moved from the voided transaction to the new transaction manually.
- If payment has been applied to an invoice in Xero, and the payment has been reconciled, the sync will not be able to move the payment to a different invoice. That will cause a sync error. The payment must be un-reconciled for the sync to move it. The only other way past the sync error would be for CoreBridge support to stop the transaction from syncing and Xero would then need to be updated manually to match CoreBridge.
- Invoices cannot be triggered to sync again if the invoice has been voided in Xero and the CoreBridge invoice number is retained on the voided invoice. In order for an invoice to be triggered to sync again, the reference number in Xero should be changed prior to voiding. When changing the reference number, the new reference number should not be in the same format as a CoreBridge invoice. If an invoice is voided with the existing CoreBridge number and needs to be created again in Xero, the invoice must be created manually and won't be able to have the same number as the CoreBridge invoice.
- Credit Memos can't be voided through the sync.
- Payments post directly to the Default Bank Account assigned in the CoreBridge accounting module.
- Payments will sync only after they have been reconciled in CoreBridge.
- Voided payments in CoreBridge will not sync and need to be voided manually in Xero.
- Payments sync as type: Overpayment
- Do not apply a Bank Feed payment to the CoreBridge invoice. If the bank feed payment is applied to the invoice, the sync will not be able to update the invoice which will cause a sync error. Bank Feed payments will then need to be manually removed from the invoice in Xero so that the sync can properly update the invoice with the CoreBridge payment.
Payments that are considered deposits on an order
- Payments that are considered order deposits will sync to Xero before the order does. When the related order has been Completed it will then sync. Since the deposit payment synced before the order did, the sync will not apply the payment. Those types of payments will need to be applied manually in Xero to the related CoreBridge invoice(s). If the payment is not applied, the related invoice(s) will remain open in Xero.
Payments - best practices when using Bank Feeds
- Do not apply the Bank Feed payment to the CoreBridge invoice.
- Perform a CoreBridge Reconciliation daily to capture payments.
- Sync daily after a Reconciliation has been completed in order to sync payments and invoices.
- Once the CoreBridge payment is applied to the CoreBridge invoice, you can then reconcile the Bank Feed payment.
- If the bank feed payment is applied to the CoreBridge invoice before the CoreBridge payment is applied, that will cause a sync error because the sync will determine that the invoice has already been paid.
Payments - applying a payment
- When a deposit payment is entered in CoreBridge on a WIP or BUILT order, the payment will sync to Xero before the invoice once it has been reconciled in CoreBridge. When a payment syncs before the invoice syncs, the payment will not be applied automatically to the invoice in Xero when the invoice finally syncs. The payment will need to be applied manually.
- To apply a payment manually, use one of these methods.
- Open the payment then use Allocate Credit.
- Open the invoice then use Credit this invoice.
Refunds, Bad Debt, and NSF payments will not sync and will need to be manually created in Xero.
- When a sync is performed, these payment types will display as Successful Items for the Payments task. However, they will not sync to Xero. They are displayed for your reference as a reminder to process the transaction manually in Xero.
- When the Successful Item link is clicked, the message will display the payment number along with a reminder. This message is only displayed once. To find the transactions later you will need to run a Payments Report so that you can manually update Xero.
Tax Groups and Tax Agencies
Tax Groups will sync only one time and Tax Agencies do not sync.
- If Tax Groups are archived or deleted in Xero, they cannot be synced again. They will need to be created manually in Xero.
- To create a tax group manually, the Tax Group name in CoreBridge will need to be entered as both the Display Name and Tax Component name in Xero.
- When tax amounts are calculated differently between CoreBridge and Xero, the sync will add the difference as an invoice line item. The adjustment is usually 1 cent.
- When you change the name or the rate in Corebridge of a Tax Group, CoreBridge creates a new record that will sync. The new record will contain the name of the group that was changed and the name of the new record will start with "old_". Although the name may be unfamiliar, do not change the name or delete the record in Xero.
Manual Entry Needed in Xero
Refer to this support article for a summary of manual entries that may need to happen in Xero.
If you get a sync error, all of you financial data from CoreBridge will not sync to Xero. To ensure that all data has synced, the sync must complete successfully with no Failed Items. If you have failed items, click the Failed Item link to view the error.
- If you are able to fix the error, run a sync again to complete the sync.
- If you are not able to fix the error, the error will need to be reported to CoreBridge support for assistance. There are two methods to report errors.
- Take a screenshot of any errors, open a new ticket, then attach the screenshot to the ticket and submit it.
- Click the Troubleshoot Problems button that appears once the sync finishes. Enter your email and click Submit on the window that appears.
- For a list of common errors and possible fixes, please refer to this article: Xero Detail Sync - Sync Errors
Xero imposes 3 limits on the API that CoreBridge uses to sync data. If an error message appears during syncing that contains the text "oauth", one of the limits was reached.
- 60 calls in a rolling 60-second window – you should not reach this limit because we set your system to sync at a set rate
- 5000 calls in a rolling 24-hour window – unless you have an extraordinary amount of transactions to sync, you should not reach this limit. The only times that it would be possible to hit this limit is during a 1st sync when your customers, invoices and payments sync for the first time or if you have many transactions and sync once a month. If you reach this limit you will need to wait for 24 hours to sync again. We recommend syncing daily to prevent hitting this limit.
- 30-minute window – if this limit is triggered, just Authorize CoreBridge again using the Connect to Xero button.
Since the Detail Sync re-creates transactions in Xero, you can run financial reports as well as other customer-related reports. However, because the data in Xero isn't live, you should always use CoreBridge reports to manage your customers and A/R. You should always use the CoreBridge sales tax reports when remitting sales tax.