How Does The Setup Process work?
- Review these instructions as well as the Related Articles.
- Complete the setup steps.
- Let support know that the setup has been completed.
- A support agent will review your system.
- Once your system is ready a support agent will send a link to schedule a web meeting.
- A support agent will join you on a web meeting to perform your 1st sync.
This article will guide you through the process of setting up QuickBooks and CoreBridge to prepare for a data sync.
- If you have not Gone Live! with CoreBridge you can still perform these setup steps, however, the actual sync will not occur until you are Live and have completed your first CoreBridge Reconciliation.
- We recommend working with our support team for your first sync to QuickBooks. This helps ensure that all of the settings are correct which reduces the likelihood of any erroneous data being synced to QuickBooks.
- If you are entering orders or payments in a program other than CoreBridge, we recommend not entering that data again in CoreBridge to prevent duplicate data in QuickBooks.
- If you are entering payments in a program other than CoreBridge, we recommend keeping those bank deposits separate from your CoreBridge deposits.
- If your CoreBridge system has more than one Location, data from all locations will sync to the same QuickBooks company file.
- Once you've gone through your 1st Sync, you should not edit/update/modify/delete any records that sync from CoreBridge to QuickBooks. QuickBooks effectively becomes "look but don't touch".
Table of Contents
- Sync Requirements
- Related Articles
- E-Commerce Integration Requirements
- Step 1 – Perform a CoreBridge Reconciliation
- Step 2 - Configure QuickBooks Application Settings
- Step 3 – Match Income & Cost of Goods Sold Accounts
- Step 4 – Select an Accounting Export Option in CoreBridge
- Step 5 – Invoice Prefix & Numbering Format
- Step 6 – Review Employee Names
- Step 7 - Review Customer Names
- Step 8 - Review Vendor Names
- Step 9 - Review Item Names
- Step 10 - Download and Install the QuickBooks Desktop Sync Tool
- Step 11 - Schedule a 1st Sync Web Meeting
- QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2014 or newer.
- The Full Sync export method is being used.
- Your QuickBooks company file must be available on a local installation of QuickBooks Desktop. The software required for the sync will be installed on the same computer that QuickBooks is installed on. The sync software running on a hosted server is not supported.
- Your system must be Live.
- One or more Completed orders.
- One or more payments.
- One or more Reconciliations that contain payments.
Please take a few minutes to review the articles below as they will help to provide additional details on the sync process.
E-Commerce Integration Requirements
- CoreBridge E-Commerce: there are no special requirements
- Pressero: Sales Tax must be synced as line items. This is a setting on the sync tool (Step 10)
- XMPie: Sales Tax must be synced as line items. This is a setting on the sync tool (Step 10)
- If you are using the Pressero or XMPie integration, the tax report from QuickBooks will not work because tax will be recorded as line items. The CoreBridge sales tax reports will need to be used when preparing sales tax forms.
STEP 1 – Perform a CoreBridge Reconciliation
Each Reconciliation contains the payments that will export to QuickBooks. Without Reconciliations payments will not export.
A Reconciliation should be performed at the end of each business day to capture that day's payments.
If your system is not Live, any test Reconciliations will be deleted once you officially go Live.
This article will guide you through performing a Reconciliation:
STEP 2 – Configure QuickBooks Application Settings
STEP 3 – Match Income & Cost of Goods Sold Accounts
The only accounts needed for the sync are the accounts in CoreBridge. Be sure not to add your entire Chart of Accounts to CoreBridge.
If there is an account in CoreBridge that does not exist in QuickBooks, it will be created automatically in QuickBooks during your 1st sync so there is no need to add it manually. The new account in QuickBooks will be created exactly as displayed in CoreBridge (account number, account name, hierarchy). If you want to have an account created automatically, any parent account noted in CoreBridge will need to either be created by the sync or must already exist in QuickBooks. If you prefer to add an account manually to QuickBooks, be sure it matches exactly to CoreBridge.
Account Naming and Structure:
- Special characters may cause sync errors. Some examples are $, &, and quote symbols. Please use only letters and numbers for account names. If a special character causes a sync error, the account name will need to be changed in both CoreBridge and QuickBooks for the sync to be successful.
- The name "Shipping" should not be used as an account name. Names like "Shipping Income" or "Shipping Expense" can be used instead.
- Accounts can have 3 levels:
- Parent > Child > Child
- If your existing Income and COGS accounts that will be used in CoreBridge have more than 3 levels please adjust them accordingly in QuickBooks before matching them to CoreBridge.
- Each account must have a unique account number and a unique name. Numbers and names cannot be the same between Income accounts and COGS accounts.
- Be sure to review your QuickBooks chart of accounts to check for duplicate account names. Each account in QuickBooks should have a unique name. If there is an account in CoreBridge with the same name as two or more accounts in QuickBooks with the same name, the sync may fail or may change your chart of accounts in QuickBooks to something you aren't expecting. For Example:
- One CoreBridge Account: 4000 Banner Income
- Two QuickBooks Accounts: 4000 Banner Income, 4500 Banner Income
- You will need to change 4500 so that is has a unique name
(A) Income Accounts
The QuickBooks account type needs to be "Income". Using type "Other Income" will create sync errors causing data to not export.
In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Manage Accounts > Income Accounts tab.
- The column headings can be used to sort accounts. If the accounts have account numbers, try clicking GL Code once or twice to put the accounts in number order. If the accounts don't have numbers, sorting by Account Name may make the matching process easier.
- Once sorted, start with the first account in CoreBridge. Compare it to QuickBooks. Account number, account name, and account hierarchy must match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks. If the CoreBridge account matches exactly to QuickBooks move on to the next account in CoreBridge. (You don't want to start with the first account in QuickBooks because all of your accounts in QuickBooks don't need to be in CoreBridge)
- If the CoreBridge account represents an account in QuickBooks but it doesn't match exactly, change the account in either QuickBooks or CoreBridge to get them to match.
- If you are a Franchisee, CoreBridge is populated with the Franchisor master Chart of Accounts so any change may need to be made in QuickBooks.
- The goal is to get the account to match perfectly between CoreBridge and QuickBooks. Account number, account name, and account hierarchy must match.
- If a CoreBridge account needs to be changed, click edit, make any needed changes, then click save before moving to the next account.
- If the account being matched is a child account in QuickBooks be sure to select the parent account in CoreBridge so that the account hierarchy matches. If a parent account does not exist in CoreBridge it must be created.
- To create a new account use this section of the page:
(B) COGS Accounts
The QuickBooks account type needs to be "Cost of Goods Sold". Using type "Expense" will create sync errors causing data to not export.
Costs from CoreBridge do not sync but the accounts themselves will sync because they need to be used with the items that will be created in QuickBooks from your CoreBridge parts and modifiers.
In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Manage Accounts > COGS Accounts tab.
Follow the same instructions as (A) Income Accounts.
STEP 4 – Select an Accounting Export Option in CoreBridge
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SYNCED
If you have already synced with a different accounting application than QuickBooks Desktop or a with a different export method, stop here and contact CoreBridge support. Changing this option after data has been synced will create erroneous data in QuickBooks if a sync is performed with the new setting.
IF YOU HAVE NEVER SYNCED
Proceed with the setup.
If you have been in contact with a support agent this step will probably have been done for you.
- In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export.
- Select the following options:
- Select Export Type: Sync with Desktop Application
- Application Name: QuickBooks
- Sync Type: Full Data Sync
- Click the Save button. A warning dialogue may appear. Since you have never synced you can safely click OK.
STEP 5 – Invoice Prefix & Numbering Format
If your QuickBooks does not have customer invoices, skip this step and proceed to Step 6.
If your QuickBooks has customer invoices this step must be completed so that CoreBridge invoices will have different numbers than QuickBooks. If invoice numbers are the same between CoreBridge and QuickBooks the CoreBridge invoices will fail to sync.
Confirm that the the CoreBridge invoice prefix and starting number will not be the same as the invoice numbers in QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks
- Report Center > Customers & Receivables > Transaction List by Customer
- Select a date range that will show your most recent invoices.
- Export the report to Excel and sort by Num. This will display the prefix as well as the last number used.
- Report Center > Customers & Receivables > Transaction List by Customer
- In CoreBridge view your Invoice Prefix setting: Management Module > Locations > (select a location) > Location & Company
- Make any needed change then click Save Changes.
- In CoreBridge view your invoice numbering: Management Module > Global Settings > Pricing Settings
- Make any needed change then click Save Settings.
STEP 6 – Review Employee Names
If your QuickBooks does not have Employees skip this step and proceed to Step 7.
If your QuickBooks has Employees this step must be completed so that there are no conflicting records. If you have sold to an Employee, that Employee may have a Customer account in CoreBridge.
If there is an Employee in QuickBooks with the same name as a Customer in CoreBridge the Customer will fail to sync which will also cause invoices and other transactions to fail.
Compare your Employee list from QuickBooks against Customers in CoreBridge. If there is a match, the name will need to be changed in either CoreBridge or in QuickBooks so that there isn't a match.
STEP 7 – Review Customer Names
If your QuickBooks does not have customers skip this step and proceed to Step 8.
If your QuickBooks has customers we highly recommend completing this step. If a customer exists in both QuickBooks and CoreBridge but the names do not match each other exactly, the sync will create a new customer in QuickBooks from the customer record in CoreBridge. All new transactions will sync to the new customer record. That will leave QuickBooks with duplicate customers:
- The original customer with the transactions that were recorded in QuickBooks
- The new customer with only the transactions from CoreBridge
Compare all customers between CoreBridge and QuickBooks to be sure that the name is the same in both systems. (This includes spaces, dashes, and any other character)
STEP 8 – Review Vendor Names
If your QuickBooks does not have vendors skip this step and proceed to Step 9.
If your CoreBridge subscription does not include the Purchasing Module skip this step and proceed to Step 9.
If your QuickBooks has vendors we highly recommend completing this step. Vendors from the Purchasing Module will sync to QuickBooks along with Purchase Orders. If a vendor exists in both QuickBooks and CoreBridge but the names do not match each other exactly, the sync will create a new vendor in QuickBooks from the vendor record in CoreBridge. All new transactions will sync to the new vendor record. That will leave QuickBooks with duplicate vendors:
- The original vendor with the transactions that were recorded in QuickBooks.
- The new vendor with only the transactions from CoreBridge.
Compare all vendors between CoreBridge and QuickBooks to be sure that the name is the same in both systems. (This includes spaces, dashes, and any other character)
STEP 9 – Review Item Names
If your QuickBooks does not have items skip this step and proceed to Step 10.
If your QuickBooks has items we highly recommend completing this step. Part and modifiers from CoreBridge will sync to QuickBooks as items. The items will be used for Invoices and Purchase Orders. If an item exists in both QuickBooks and CoreBridge but the names do not match each other exactly, the sync will create a new item in QuickBooks from the part or modifier record in CoreBridge. All new transactions will sync to the new item record. That will leave QuickBooks with duplicate items:
- The original item with the transactions that were recorded in QuickBooks.
- The new item with only the transactions from CoreBridge.
In addition to the names needing to match, the Type needs to match as well:
If the names match but the type doesn't match, the sync will attempt to update the item type in QuickBooks so that it matches CoreBridge. If there is activity on the item in QuickBooks that prevents the type from being changed, the sync will fail. That will result in the item not syncing and all transactions that use that item will also fail.
Compare all items in QuickBooks to parts and modifiers in CoreBridge. The following information should be the same in both QuickBooks and CoreBridge:
- Name (This includes spaces, dashes, and any other character)
- Income account
- COGS account (If the item in QuickBooks has inventory transactions, and the sync tries to change the account in QuickBooks, the item may fail if QuickBooks does not allow the change to be made. This happens because QuickBooks isn't allowing the beginning balance to change)
STEP 10 – Download and install the QuickBooks Desktop Sync Tool
Follow the steps in this article to download and install the software required for the sync: QB Desktop - Sync Tool Installation
If Windows does not have the required component installed that the software will need, you will be prompted to download and install it.
NOTE: Once the software has been downloaded and installed the settings do not need to be configured at this point. The settings will be configured during your 1st Sync web meeting.
If you are using the Pressero or XMPie integration:
Sales Tax must be synced as line items. There is a setting on the sync tool that needs to be selected and there are records that will need to be created in QuickBooks to use this option.
Please refer to this article: Sync Tax Agency Liabilities as Line Items
If you are setting up the sync tool on your own please follow the steps in the article before performing a sync.
STEP 11 – Schedule a 1st Sync Web Meeting
The 1st Sync to QuickBooks will be performed with a CoreBridge Support specialist via a web meeting.
We recommend not performing a first sync on your own. A support agent will need to confirm your setup then will meet with you for your first sync.
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks company file (optional)
- Join the meeting on the same computer that QuickBooks is installed on.
- QuickBooks must be open in single-user mode.
- QuickBooks must be logged into with an Admin account.
- QuickBooks cannot have Accountant's Copy restrictions.
- QuickBooks cannot have a closing date after your Go Live date.
- Since Tax Groups are reviewed on a sync meeting we recommend that the user signed in to CoreBridge has access to the Management Module.
- Plan on having at least 2 hours available for the meeting.
During the 1st Sync Meeting we will:
- Perform the 1st Sync with you.
- Help to correct any sync errors that may come up.
Contact CoreBridge Support at email@example.com and let us know that you have completed the setup and would like to schedule your 1st sync meeting.