How Does The Setup Process work?
- Review these instructions as well as the Related Articles.
- Complete the setup steps.
- Let support know that the setup has been completed.
- A support agent will review your system.
- Once your system is ready a support agent will send a link to schedule a web meeting.
- A support agent will join you on a web meeting to perform your 1st sync.
This article will guide you through the process of setting up Xero and CoreBridge to prepare for a data sync.
- If you have not Gone Live! with CoreBridge you can still perform these setup steps, however, the actual sync will not occur until you are Live and the sync requirements have been met.
- We recommend working with our support team for your first sync to Xero. This helps ensure that all of the settings are correct which reduces the likelihood of any erroneous data being synced to Xero.
- If you are entering orders or payments in a program other than CoreBridge, we recommend not entering that data again in CoreBridge so that you don't get duplicate data in Xero.
- If you are entering payments in a program other than CoreBridge, we recommend keeping those bank deposits separate from your CoreBridge deposits.
- If your CoreBridge system has more than one Location, data from all locations will sync to the same Xero company. The sync does not provide a way to separate location data in Xero.
- Once you've gone through your 1st Sync, you should not edit/update/modify/delete any records that sync from CoreBridge to Xero. Xero effectively becomes "look but don't touch" for any records that have synced from CoreBridge. The only exceptions would be manually performing what the Xero API cannot perform.
Table of Contents
- Sync Requirements
- Related Articles
- E-Commerce Integration
- Bank Feed
- STEP 1 – Perform a CoreBridge Reconciliation
- STEP 2 – Invoice Prefix & Numbering Format
- STEP 3 - Match Income Accounts
- STEP 4 - Sales Tax
- STEP 5 – Select an Accounting Export Option in CoreBridge
- STEP 6 – Authorize CoreBridge with Xero
- STEP 7 – Select Accounts in CoreBridge
- STEP 8 – Disable Master Accounts
- STEP 9 – Create In-Store Credit inventory item in Xero
- STEP 10 – Review Customer Names
- STEP 11 – Notify Support That All Setup Steps Have Been Completed
- Xero. LINK: Accounting Export Options
- The Full Sync export method is being used.
- Your system must be Live.
- One or more Completed orders.
- One or more payments.
- One or more Reconciliations that contain payments.
- Tax must be assigned at the Order level. If your version of Xero assigns tax at the Line Item level you must use Lump Sync. This is usually the case with UK VAT and Australia GST
Please take a few minutes to review the articles below as they will help to provide additional details on the sync process. There are specific transactions that need to be handled manually in Xero.
- How Full Sync Works – Xero
- Xero Full Sync – Details
- Xero Full Sync – Voided Orders
- FAQ & Best Practices - CoreBridge Accounting Sync
- CoreBridge E-Commerce: there are no special requirements
- Pressero: The Pressero integration is not compatible with Xero Full Sync. (Lump Sync is compatible)
- XMPie: The XMPie integration is not compatible with Xero Full Sync. (Lump Sync is compatible)
If you are using the Xero bank feed, CoreBridge payments that import via the bank feed need to be handled properly. Please refer to the Related Article "Xero Full Sync – Details" under section "Bank Feeds and Xero".
STEP 1 – Perform a CoreBridge Reconciliation
Each Reconciliation contains the payments that will export to Xero. Without Reconciliations payments will not export.
A Reconciliation should be performed at the end of each business day to capture that day's payments and to catch any payment entry errors. If wrong payment amounts are captured on the Reconciliation the wrong amounts will sync to Xero.
If your Xero does not have customer invoices, skip this step and proceed to Step 3.
If your Xero has customer invoices this step must be completed so that CoreBridge invoices will have different numbers than Xero. If invoice numbers are the same between CoreBridge and Xero the CoreBridge invoices will fail to sync.
Confirm that the the CoreBridge invoice prefix and starting number will not create the same invoice numbers that exist in Xero.
- In Xero, run the "Customer Invoice Report" or any report that displays Invoice Numbers.
- Select a date range that will show your most recent invoices.
- In CoreBridge view your Invoice Prefix setting:
- Management Module > Locations > (select a location) > Location & Company
- Make any needed change then click Save Changes.
- In CoreBridge view your invoice numbering:
- Management Module > Global Settings > Pricing Settings
- Make any needed change then click Save Settings.
STEP 3 - Match Income Accounts
Accounts need to match between CoreBridge and Xero for the sync to be successful. Account number and account name have to match exactly.
The only accounts needed for the sync are the accounts in CoreBridge. Be sure not to add your entire Chart of Accounts to CoreBridge.
If there is an account in CoreBridge that does not exist in Xero, it will be created automatically in Xero during your 1st sync so there is no need to add it manually. The new account in Xero will be created exactly as displayed in CoreBridge (account number, account name). Xero does not have child accounts so if there is a child account in CoreBridge the sync will ignore the hierarchy and the child account will be created in Xero with no hierarchy.
Account Naming and Structure
- Special characters may cause sync errors. Some examples are $, &, and quote symbols. Please use only letters and numbers for account names. If a special character causes a sync error, the account name will need to be changed in both CoreBridge and Xero for the sync to be successful.
- Each account must have a unique account number and a unique name. Numbers and names cannot be the same between Income accounts and COGS accounts. If you want the sync to create an account for you during the 1st sync, be sure that an account doesn't already exist in Xero with the number or name of the account that will be created.
- Xero requires account numbers. If there is an account in CoreBridge without an account number the sync will fail when attempting to create or match to the account in Xero. If there is an inactive account in CoreBridge without a number, the sync will fail if the account was used on an order before the account was made inactive.
The Xero Account Type needs to be "Revenue" or "Sales". Using type "Other Income" will create sync errors causing data to not export.
In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Manage Accounts > Income Accounts tab.
- The column headings can be used to sort accounts. Try clicking GL Code once or twice to put the accounts in number order.
- Once sorted, start with the first account in CoreBridge. Compare it to Xero. Account number and account name must match between CoreBridge and Xero. If the CoreBridge account matches exactly to Xero move on to the next account in CoreBridge. (You don't want to start with the first account in Xero because all of your accounts in Xero don't need to be in CoreBridge)
- If the CoreBridge account represents an account in Xero but it doesn't match exactly, change the account in either CoreBridge or Xero to get them to match.
- If you are a Franchisee, CoreBridge is populated with the Franchisor master Chart of Accounts so any change may need to be made in Xero.
- The goal is to get the account to match perfectly between CoreBridge and Xero. Account number and account name must match.
- If a CoreBridge account needs to be changed, click edit, make any needed changes, then click save before moving to the next account.
- To create a new account use this section of the page.
- If you are a Franchisee, your accounts may be locked preventing new accounts from being created.
STEP 4 - Sales Tax
When the CoreBridge sales tax calculation gives a different value than the Xero sales tax calculation, the sync adds a line to the Xero invoice to adjust for the difference. The adjustment is posted to a Sales Tax account. In order for this to work, the sync will look for a specific account number in Xero associated with a Sales Tax account. If the account number in Xero is different from the account number the sync is looking for, the sync will fail.
The account number the sync will check for will be based on the specific currency assigned in Xero.
- Create a new Sales Tax account in Xero using the specific number from the list. The account name doesn't matter.
- Assign the appropriate number from the list to your existing Sales Tax account
STEP 5 – Select an Accounting Export Option in CoreBridge
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SYNCED
If you have already synced with a different accounting application than Xero or a with a different export method, stop here and contact CoreBridge support. Changing this option after data has been synced will create erroneous data in Xero if a sync is performed with the new setting.
IF YOU HAVE NEVER SYNCED
If you have never synced proceed with the setup.
If you have been in contact with a support agent this step will probably have been done for you.
- In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export.
- Select the following options:
- Select Export Type: Sync with Online Application
- Application Name: Xero Sync
- Sync Type: Full Data Sync
- Click the Save button. A warning dialogue may appear. Since you have never synced you can safely click OK.
STEP 6 – Authorize CoreBridge with Xero
You must be logged in to CoreBridge using the default URL assigned to your CoreBridge system. It is in this format: xxx.corebridge.net
Using any other URL will result in an error.
- In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export > Setup tab
- Click Connect to Xero
- A new window will appear. You may need to log in to Xero. Select your Xero company then click Allow access for 30 mins.
- When "Successfully connected to Xero" is displayed, close that browser window and return to CoreBridge.
- The authorization is available for 30 minutes. Once 30 minutes expires, you must authorize CoreBridge with Xero again in order complete Step 7.
STEP 7 – Select Accounts in CoreBridge
This step can only be completed when CoreBridge is authorized. (See Step 6)
The following accounts need to be set in CoreBridge. If an account does not already exist in Xero, it must be created prior to proceeding.
- Default Bank Account: This is where payments will post. (choose a Bank account)
- Default Income account when none is assigned: This is a fallback account if the sync can't find an account. (choose a Revenue or Sales account)
- Default COGS account when none is assigned: (choose a Direct Costs account). COGS accounts do not sync to Xero. This option will be deprecated on a future version.
In CoreBridge, navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export > Account Setup tab.
- Click on the Refresh button. This process fetches existing accounts from Xero and may take a minute or longer.
- Use the dropdowns to select the desired default accounts.
- If Refresh doesn't pull in a required account, the missing account must be created in Xero. Once the missing account is created click Refresh. You can also click the Refresh icon next to each dropdown to individually refresh that list.
- Leave the Sync Start Date field empty. It will be set on your 1st Sync Meeting.
- When all accounts have been selected, click Save Account Setup.
STEP 8 – Disable Master Accounts
This step is not required. You can still use master accounts in CoreBridge and do not have to disable this feature for the sync to work.
Since Xero does not have a Master Account feature, the Master Account association in CoreBridge will have no affect on the sync. Master accounts in CoreBridge do not sync to Xero. If a CoreBridge customer is associated with a Master account there will be no similar association in Xero.
- Review any master account associations by running the Customers by Master Account report found in Report Module > Customer/Receivables.
- Using the report, update any customers that are associated with a Master Account. Review the Customer Settings article for additional information.
- You can safely ignore records displaying "None" or "No Master Account Association"
- Disable the Master Account feature on your system by navigating to Management Module > Customers > Tracking > Master Account.
- Uncheck the Enable Master Account Settings box and click Save Settings.
STEP 9 – Create In-Store Credit inventory item in Xero
When In-Store Credit is manually added to a customer account, the sync will use the item created in this step to create a Credit Note in Xero. The Credit Note balance will be updated as the In-Store Credit is used in CoreBridge.
- In Xero navigate to Accounts > Inventory.
- Click + New Item to create a new Inventory Item.
- Set the following values EXACTLY as indicated:
- Item Code: In-Store Credit
- Item Name: In-Store Credit
- I purchase this item: Should be selected
- Purchases Account: Choose an EXPENSES account
The account selected is where In-Store Credit given to a customer in CoreBridge will post to. We recommend creating a new In-Store Credit expense account to keep it separate from other accounts in Xero.
- When the Credit Note is created you may want to create a manual journal to offset the expense to a different account.
STEP 10 – Review Customer Names
If your Xero does not have customers, skip this step and proceed to Step 11.
If your Xero has customers we highly recommend completing this step. If a customer exists in both Xero and CoreBridge but the names do not match each other exactly, the sync will create a new customer in Xero from the customer record in CoreBridge. All new transactions will sync to the new customer record. That will leave Xero with duplicate customers:
- The original customer with the transactions that were recorded in Xero
- The new customer with only the transactions from CoreBridge
Compare all customers between CoreBridge and Xero to be sure that the name is the same in both systems. (This includes spaces, dashes, and any other character)
STEP 11 – Notify Support That All Setup Steps Have Been Completed
Once the entire setup has been completed, notify support by replying back to your "sync setup" ticket.
The agent assigned to your ticket will review your system to ensure that you have a successful First Sync. If any issues are found during the review that will cause the sync to fail, the agent will let you know what the issues are so that they can be fixed. Once the review is successful the agent will send a scheduling link that you will use to arrange your First Sync meeting.
The 1st Sync to Xero will be performed with a CoreBridge Support specialist on the scheduled meeting.
We recommend not performing a first sync on your own.
- Please have CoreBridge and Xero open in the same browser, each in it's own tab.
- Since Tax Groups are reviewed on a sync meeting we recommend that the user signed in to CoreBridge has access to the Management Module.
During the 1st Sync Meeting we will:
- Perform the 1st Sync with you.
- Help to correct any sync errors that may come up.