This article is for centers that have gone through a 1st sync and are switching from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online using the Full Sync export method.
If you have not gone through a 1st sync this article will not apply to you.
Switching from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online should be coordinated with CoreBridge support if you are currently syncing data.
What to expect
The setup is a bit involved so please read the entire article before performing any of the instructions or importing your Desktop file to QuickBooks Online. If the requirements cannot be met you may need to stay with the Desktop version.
Performing the prerequisites before importing your Desktop file to QuickBooks Online will probably save you a significant amount of time because working in QuickBooks Online may not be as familiar as using the QuickBooks Desktop interface.
When the setup is complete you will perform your own 1st sync to QuickBooks Online.
Please review this support article which provides details and limitations on the QuickBooks Online Full Sync. The Online Sync has limitations that the Desktop sync doesn't so you want to be prepared for the results.
- Since QuickBooks Online Full Sync creates Purchase Orders in QuickBooks Online, you must have a version that includes these features if your CoreBridge subscription includes the Purchasing module and you wish to sync Purchase Orders to QuickBooks Online:
- Create and send purchase orders
- Track inventory
- The QuickBooks Online Automated Sales Tax feature will not work with Full Sync because it doesn't allow the manual creation of Tax Agencies and Tax groups. If it is being used and cannot be disabled Lump Sync must be used. This is a feature on US versions of QuickBooks Online.
- Tax must be assigned at the Order level. If your version of QuickBooks Online assigns tax at the Line Item level Lump Sync must be used. This is usually the case with UK VAT.
- If your CoreBridge system has more than one Location, you must have a version of QuickBooks Online that supports "Class Tracking". Each Location name from CoreBridge will be used to create a Class in QuickBooks so that you are able to separate each location(store) on reports. Without that feature you will not be able to separate financials by location(store). The "Location" feature in QuickBooks Online is not used for the sync.
If you are currently using or will be using the Pressero or XMPie integration where those imported orders sync to QuickBooks Desktop, you may want to continue using the Desktop version because those integrations are not compatible with QuickBooks Online Full Sync.
There is a setting on the desktop sync tool that allows the integration to work:
This setting is not available with QuickBooks Online. If Pressero or XMPie imported orders sync to QuickBooks Online the sales tax value may not be correct causing the tax liability in QuickBooks Online to not match your actual liability from CoreBridge.
The CoreBridge sync relies on specific information from your QuickBooks database to know where to save data. When you import your Desktop company to Online, that information is no longer available. In order for the sync to know where to save data in your new QuickBooks Online database, the sync needs to gather the information from QuickBooks Online. To do that, your entire CoreBridge system will be reset to sync again. Depending on how much data exists in CoreBridge, the initial sync may take many hours. As you will see below, we recommend starting the sync after business hours because it will slow down CoreBridge for your users.
We reset all of your CoreBridge data to sync again including Customers, Invoices, Items, Payments, Vendors, etc. Your data won't exist twice in QuickBooks. It just has to sync again to acquire the information needed from the new Online database.
If there are records that synced to the Desktop version that were deleted they will appear again. If there are records that synced to the Desktop version that were manually changed, the changes will be overwritten.
Not all records sync again. The following record types are date-based. These records will only sync again based on your new Sync Start Date:
- Purchase Orders
The Sync Start Date controls when an order syncs again based on Completed Date. If an order is not in CLOSED status, it will sync anyway and ignore that date. That prevents having a payment sync at a future date without having an invoice be to applied to.
Syncing 1000's and 1000's of records will take some time and will usually result in a successful sync. However, there are times that you may encounter sync errors. We will work with you as quickly as possible to troubleshoot and fix any errors. If QuickBooks has a closing date and there are records prior to the closing date that need to sync, the closing date will need to be removed or changed in order to allow the record to sync. If it isn't possible to change a closing date, you will need to review the records in question and determine how to handle those manually in QuickBooks. Support can stop specific records from syncing but since there is usually a reason a record needs to sync we recommend reviewing the record to determine the best course of action before requesting that the records is stopped from syncing.
We recommend switching and performing your 1st Online sync when you can afford to have some down time in QuickBooks. You won't want to switch during tax time, you won't want to switch the week you need to handle sales taxes, etc.
For U.S. Region QuickBooks companies only: If you are willing to provide access to your QuickBooks Online company, support can perform the 1st sync to QuickBooks Online for you once the prerequisites and the setup steps have been completed.
Prerequisite 1: A/R
This step is optional but highly recommended. If you are not as familiar with QuickBooks Online as you are with QuickBooks Desktop, addressing your A/R may take more time if this step is skipped.
Be sure that Customer A/R balances match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks Desktop. The balance should match between individual transactions and not just the overall balance.
- Run this report in CoreBridge: CUSTOMER / RECEIVABLES REPORTS > Accounts Receivable Aging > Detail by Customer
- Set the "include" dropdown to "Include Deposits and Credits"
- Compare the report to your QuickBooks A/R report. If you are missing transactions in QuickBooks or if you have transactions that don't match CoreBridge, please open a ticket and provide the details so that we can help to get each customer to match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks.
Prerequisite 2: Taxes
Be sure that all Tax Groups and Tax Agencies match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks Desktop. If this step is skipped, any missing records will need to be added manually in QuickBooks Online once the import has completed. It is easier to sync Tax items to QuickBooks Desktop than it is to manually create them in QuickBooks Online.
- Request this report from Corebridge
- A complete listing of CoreBridge Tax Groups and Tax Agencies
- CoreBridge: Support will send you a list to compare to QuickBooks Desktop
- Compare the list to QuickBooks Desktop. If any of the following records on the list are not in QuickBooks Desktop please let us know so that we can set them to sync again. Names and rates should match. Grouping of Tax Agencies to Tax Groups should also match.
- Tax Groups (Sales Tax Groups in QuickBooks)
- Tax Agencies (Sales Tax Items in QuickBooks)
Due to field name length limits in QuickBooks Desktop, Tax Groups and Tax Agencies that have synced from CoreBridge may have text similar to the following appended to the name: " - 2".
- Full name in CoreBridge: Clover County Dept of Revenue
- Shortened name in QuickBooks Desktop: Clover County - 2
The shortened name will import to QuickBooks Online and will conflict with the full name during a sync causing the sync to fail.
Before performing your first sync to QuickBooks Online (SETUP STEPS: Part 2), and after importing your Desktop company file, use the list provided to match Tax Groups and Agencies to QuickBooks Online. For any records in QuickBooks Online where the shortened name exists, the name will need to be changed to the full name so that it will match CoreBridge during a sync.
Setup Steps: Part 1
A. Perform a final CoreBridge Reconciliation.
B. Perform a final sync to QuickBooks Desktop with no sync errors.
- If you get sync errors they must be resolved before proceeding.
- Do not perform a sync to QuickBooks Desktop again after performing a final sync.
- The sync tool does not sync to QuickBooks Online.
C. Make note of the date you ran a final sync. This date will be needed for the QuickBooks Online sync. If the wrong sync start date is used you will be missing transactions in QuickBooks Online.
D. Import your QuickBooks desktop company file to QuickBooks Online.
E. Using the Tax Group and Tax Agency list provided in Prerequisite 2, be sure that everything matches. For instructions see Step I below.
- Be sure that all records from the list exist in QuickBooks.
- Be sure that the names from the list match the names in QuickBooks
- Be sure that the tax groupings from the list match the groupings in QuickBooks
- Be sure that the rates from the list match the rates in QuickBooks
F. Once the import to QuickBooks Online has finished successfully please notify Support.
- Do not attempt a sync at this time
G. CoreBridge: Support will reset your CoreBridge system to sync again.
H. CoreBridge: Support will set the Export Type on your CoreBridge system for you to QuickBooks Online Full Sync.
- Do not proceed until you have been informed that Step G and Step H have been completed.
I. Perform the steps noted below from the support article noted below. The support article noted is for setting up your system to sync for the first time. Since you have synced already do not follow the entire list of instructions from the noted article. The only steps you will need to complete in the noted article are the specific steps noted here. Once those specific steps have been completed, close that article and continue with Step J.
- Support Article: QuickBooks Online Sync Setup - Full Sync
- STEP 2 – Configure QuickBooks Settings
- STEP 3 – Setup Tax Groups and Tax Agencies
- STEP 5 – Authorize CoreBridge with QuickBooks Online
- STEP 6 – Confirm and Select Accounts in CoreBridge
- STEP 13 – In-Store Credit (to be completed after the sync)
J. Using the date noted in Step C:
- In CoreBridge navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export > then click the Account Setup tab.
- Enter the Sync Start Date. If you don't have the exact date that a final sync was performed to QuickBooks desktop, use a date that is far back enough so that you aren't missing any transactions.
Setup Steps: Part 2
This is where you perform your own 1st sync to QuickBooks Online.
- Since all records need to be mapped again to your new QB Online database, the sync could take several hours to complete.
- You will want to start the sync after the close of business because it will slow down your CoreBridge system.
- If the sync has errors, do not manually cancel the sync. Be sure to let the sync finish on its own with the errors.
- If the sync does have errors, please use the Troubleshoot Problems button to submit a new ticket.
- Since every record that has synced before will sync again (not including date-related transactions) you may get errors. If the entire setup has not been completed you may get many errors. We will help you get through the errors. Depending on the quantity and type of errors, it may take several days to clear everything.
- Once all errors have been cleared and the sync finishes successfully, we highly recommend comparing A/R again between CoreBridge and QuickBooks.
- Follow the instructions in this article to perform a sync: QuickBooks Online - How to Sync
- You have already gone through a 1st Sync with QB Desktop so you can ignore the note in the article.
- Once the sync has completed, perform this action in QuickBooks. (from step I above)
- QuickBooks Online Sync Setup - Full Sync
- STEP 13 – In-Store Credit (to be completed after the sync)