This article is for centers that have gone through a 1st sync and are switching from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online using the Full Sync export method.
If you have not gone through a 1st sync this article will not apply to you.
Switching from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online should be coordinated with CoreBridge support if you are currently syncing data.
What to expect
The setup is a bit involved so please read the entire article before performing any actions. Performing the prerequisites before importing your file to QuickBooks Online will probably save you a significant amount of time because working in QuickBooks Online may not be as familiar as using the QuickBooks Desktop interface. When the setup is complete you will perform your own 1st sync to QuickBooks Online.
Please review this support article which provides details and limitations on the QuickBooks Online Full Sync. The Online Sync has limitations that the Desktop sync doesn't so you want to be prepared for the results.
Since QuickBooks Online Full Sync creates Purchase Orders in QuickBooks Online, you must have a version that includes these features if your CoreBridge subscription includes the Purchasing module and you wish to sync Purchase Orders to QuickBooks:
- Create and send purchase orders
- Track inventory
If you are currently using the Pressero or XMPie integration where those imported orders sync to QuickBooks Desktop, you may want to continue using the Desktop version because those integrations are not compatible with QuickBooks Online Full Sync.
There is a setting on the desktop sync tool that allows the integration to work:
This setting is not available with QuickBooks Online. If Pressero or XMPie imported orders sync to QuickBooks Online the sales tax value may not be correct causing the tax liability in QuickBooks Online to not match your actual liability from CoreBridge.
The CoreBridge sync relies on specific information from your QuickBooks database to know where to save data. When you import your Desktop company to Online, that information is no longer available. In order for the sync to know where to save data in your new QuickBooks Online database, the sync needs to gather the information from QuickBooks Online. To do that, we reset all of your CoreBridge data to sync again that has already synced to QuickBooks Desktop. Depending on how much data exists in CoreBridge, the initial sync may take many hours. As you will see below, we recommend starting the sync after business hours because it will slow down CoreBridge for your users.
We reset all of your CoreBridge data to sync again including Customers, Invoices, Items, Payments, Vendors, etc. Your data won't exist twice in QuickBooks. It just has to sync again to acquire the information needed from the new Online database. If there are records that synced to the Desktop version that were deleted or manually changed in QuickBooks Desktop, they may appear again in QuickBooks Online. Any manual changes will be overwritten.
Not all records sync again. The following record types are date-based. These records will only sync again based on your new Sync Start Date:
- Purchase Orders
The Sync Start Date controls when an order syncs again based on Completed Date. If an order is not in CLOSED status, it will sync anyway and ignore that date. That prevents having a payment sync at a future date without having an invoice be to applied to.
Syncing 1000's and 1000's of records will take some time and will usually result in a successful sync. However, there are times that you may encounter sync errors. We will work with you as quickly as possible to troubleshoot and fix any errors. If QuickBooks has a closing date and there are records prior to the closing date that need to sync, the closing date will need to be removed or changed in order to allow the record to sync. If it isn't possible to change a closing date, you will need to review the records in question and determine how to handle those manually in QuickBooks. We can stop specific records from syncing but since there is usually a reason a record needs to sync we recommend reviewing the record to determine the best course of action.
We recommend switching and performing your 1st Online sync when you can afford to have some down time in QuickBooks. You won't want to switch during tax time, you won't want to switch the week you need to handle sales taxes, etc.
If you are willing to share your QuickBooks Online credentials, we can perform the 1st sync to QuickBooks Online in our office.
Prerequisite 1: A/R
This step is optional but highly recommended. If you are not as familiar with QuickBooks Online as you are with QuickBooks Desktop, addressing your A/R may take more time if this step is skipped.
Be sure that Customer A/R balances match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks Desktop. The balance should match between individual transactions and not just an amount.
- Run this report in CoreBridge: CUSTOMER / RECEIVABLES REPORTS > Accounts Receivable Aging > Detail by Customer
- Set the "include" dropdown to "Include Deposits and Credits"
- Compare the report to your QuickBooks A/R report. If you are missing transactions in QuickBooks or if you have transactions that don't match CoreBridge, please open a ticket and provide the details so that we can help to get each customer to match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks.
Prerequisite 2: Taxes
Be sure that all Tax Groups and Tax Agencies match between CoreBridge and QuickBooks Desktop. If this step is skipped, any missing records will need to be added manually in QuickBooks Online once the import has completed. It is easier to sync Tax items to QuickBooks Desktop than it is to manually create them in QuickBooks Online.
- Request this report from Corebridge
- A complete listing of CoreBridge Tax Groups and Tax Agencies
- CoreBridge: We will send you a list to compare to QuickBooks Desktop
- Compare the report to QuickBooks Desktop. If any of the following records are not in QuickBooks Desktop please let us know so that we can set them to sync again. Names and rates should match. Grouping of Tax Agencies to Tax Groups should also match.
- Tax Groups (Sales Tax Groups in QuickBooks)
- Tax Agencies (Sales Tax Items in QuickBooks)
NOTE: Due to field name length limits in QuickBooks Desktop, Tax Groups and Tax Agencies that have synced from CoreBridge may have text similar to the following appended to the name: " - 2".
- Example: Clover County - 2
This additional text will import to QuickBooks Online because it is part of the name. This name will conflict during a QuickBooks Online sync and will cause the sync to fail because the name in CoreBridge does not have the additional text.
Before performing your first sync to QuickBooks Online (SETUP STEPS: Part 2), and after importing your Desktop company file, use the list provided to match Tax Groups and Agencies to QuickBooks Online. For any records in QuickBooks Online where QuickBooks Online has the additional text but that additional text does not exist on the report, the additional text will need to be deleted in QuickBooks Online so that the name matches to the name on the report. (see: SETUP STEPS: Part 1, step 5).
- Before: Clover County - 2
- After: Clover County
Setup Steps: Part 1
- Perform a final CoreBridge Reconciliation.
- Perform a final sync to QuickBooks Desktop with no sync errors.
- If you get sync errors they must be resolved before proceeding.
- Do not perform a sync to QuickBooks Desktop again after performing a final sync.
- The sync tool does not sync to QuickBooks Online.
- Make note of the date you ran a final sync. This date will be needed for the QuickBooks Online sync. If the wrong sync start date is used you will be missing transactions in QuickBooks Online.
- Import your QuickBooks desktop company file to QuickBooks Online.
- Use the Tax Group and Tax Agency list provided in Prerequisite 2 to confirm that the names match between the report and QuickBooks Online.
- Once the import to QuickBooks Online has finished successfully please open a support ticket or let us know on your existing ticket.
- Let us know that you have successfully imported your existing Desktop company file to QuickBooks Online.
- Do not schedule a meeting at this time.
- CoreBridge: CoreBridge support will reset all of your CoreBridge records to sync again so they are correctly mapped to your new QuickBooks Online database. We will let you know when this has been completed.
- CoreBridge: CoreBridge support will set the Export Type on your CoreBridge system for you to QuickBooks Online Full Sync. We will let you know when this has been completed.
- Do not attempt a sync at this time.
Do not proceed until you have been informed by CoreBridge support that Step 7 and Step 8 have been completed.
- Do not attempt a sync at this time.
- Configure QuickBooks Online using these specifics steps from the following support article:
- SUPPORT ARTICLE: Setup - Part 2 of 2
- STEP 4 – Configure QuickBooks Settings
- STEP 5 – Authorize CoreBridge with QuickBooks Online
- STEP 6 – Select Accounts in CoreBridge
- STEP 7 – In-Store Credit
- STEP 8 – Setup Tax Groups and Tax Agencies (This should have already been done in Prerequisite 2)
- Using the date noted in Step 3:
- In CoreBridge navigate to Accounting Module > Accounting Export > then click the Account Setup tab.
- Enter the Sync Start Date
Setup Steps: Part 2
This is where you perform your own 1st sync to QuickBooks Online.
- Since all records need to be mapped again to your new QB Online database, the sync could take several hours to complete.
- You will want to start the sync after the close of business because it will slow down your CoreBridge system.
- If the sync has errors, do not manually cancel the sync. Be sure to let the sync finish on its own with the errors.
- If the sync does have errors, please use the Troubleshoot Problems button to submit a new ticket.
- If a ticket is opened a support agent will help to resolve any sync errors
- Since every record that has synced before will sync again (not including date-related transactions) you may get errors. If the entire setup has not been completed you may get many errors. We will help you get through the errors. Depending on the quantity and type of errors, it may take several days to clear everything.
- Once all errors have been cleared and the sync finishes successfully, we highly recommend comparing A/R again between CoreBridge and QuickBooks.
- Follow the instructions in this article to perform a sync: QuickBooks Online - How to Sync
- You have already gone through a 1st Sync with QB Desktop so you can ignore the note in the article.